Monday, November 19, 2007

My Deception

I've recently been given a copy of Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook. My sister-in-law from points south sent it up in a care package recently. [Once I thought she was a Storm Trooper, but as it turns out, the force is with her. See Darth Vader, referenced in my first post.]

For the uninitiated, this cookbook offers a loving, deceptive way to cram some more veggies into your kids. And, if you eat in any way the way I am my son is sometimes inclined to eat--that is, carbs, with a side of sugar, and oh, don't be shy with the chocolate, by the way--then you can use this cookbook. You just need a food processor. Or a blender (less than optimal, just a heads up.) Or a magic bullet.

Now, get your minds out of the gutters, fair readers. That is the Magic Bullet of as-seen-on-TV fame. Not that Magic Bullet...

If it's a veggie--you can puree it. Most fruits? Puree-able. I've been doing a couple a day, every other day, and I've already got a nice little stockpile of frozen purees to sneak into my cooking. To mixed results depending upon the recipe and the taste-tester (who may, or may not, realize that I'm warping them for life because of the vegetable deception.)

One hint I'd like to pass on: I put the puree in the Quart size bags, and let them flatten out on the counter. They store in the freezer much more easily, and thawing the puree, under running water or in the microwave, was expedited as well. It's really got to be easy for you to be able to incorporate it into your everyday cooking.

Maybe next time, I'll share with you a real-life story as to why easing your family into the influx of all these additional vegetables in their every-day foods is probably the most prudent path. In retrospect, seems like a no-brainer...

No comments: